Thursday, 4 June 2015

Dominion Storage Solutions

I'm a big fan of the card game Dominion. It's a deck building card game, and was (correct me if I'm wrong) the first of its kind, unique compared with other card games like Magic: The Gathering and the Pokémon Trading Card Game in that players build their decks during, rather than prior to, playing the game.


This offers several advantages over the aforementioned collectible card games, the most notable of which is that, unlike with CCGs, you can't have an advantage over an opponent because you've got better cards, particularly, as is sometimes the case, because you've spent more money on the game than them. All players start on a level playing field and skill (and a small amount of luck) determines the victor.

It's an easy game to learn, but it's very deep and I heartily recommend that you give it a go.

There is a problem, however, and it's not with the game itself. Although the first set only comprises 500 cards, it comes in a large 30 by 30 by 7.4 cm box. And as your love of the game, grows, you'll likely buy expansions (we now have three sets in our house - the original game, and the Intrigue and Hinterlands expansions), which also often come in large boxes. The problem is that when you want to bring your cards round to a friend's house, you're stuck lugging around a tower of mostly empty boxes.

There are many solutions to this problem available online, including some really beautifully made boxes such as Beth Bernhardt's Dominion Storage Case which was successfully funded on Kickstarter.


I think I've found a good, and very cheap solution myself. I'm sure someone else has thought of too, but I thought I'd share it just in case. It involves the storage boxes and dividers available from Magic Madhouse. Now the boxes are only £1.25 (and come with 8 dividers), and the dividers are £0.50 for 8, and just one box and a few dividers happily holds two sets!

Here come the photos. Enjoy!