Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Printing Big Things

Today I'm going to discuss big things. If you'd like to read about on little things made with a 3D printer, check out this awesome post on Richard Horne's blog.

I mentioned previously that one of the big wins of upgrading to the Prusa i3 was the significantly larger print volume. Once had I finished calibration and printed a few test objects, I became wildly concerned with the fact that I had yet to take advantage of this magical new potential for bigness. The time for another adventure on Thingiverse was nigh.

I could spend hours wandering the many hallways of creativity of that website, and have done so several times in the past. Fortunately it wasn't long before I found something that satisfied my criteria of big and cool. It was Austin's Printable Low Polygon Mask.


I printed it in White PLA, 0.3 mm layer height, with 2 perimeters and 10% infill. Printing time was 4 hours 30 minutes. If I were to print it again I'd certainly drop down to 1 perimeter and probably make it hollow - the finished mask is surprisingly heavy.


By some stroke of luck it turned out to be a perfect fit. I have no idea what to do with it mind you. Perhaps it will become a part of some future project. Maybe it needs some LEDs.


For now, Mask sits in the hat corner of my room, alongside Pikachu, Cat Hat and Red Bird. I think he looks a little out of place.